What does WYTC offer?
Our Club has two seasons: Track and Field in the spring and Cross Country in the fall. Our program is designed to introduce kids to sprint and distance running and field events by providing an experience that is fun, competitive, social, and educational.
The Walton Youth Track Club is a track and field and cross country running club for elementary, middle and high school aged girls and boys. WYTC participates in Northwest Georgia Youth Track League and USATF sanctioned meets. No prior experience with running competitively is required to participate on the Walton Youth Track Club team.
When is registration?
Registration for Track & Field usually begins in January. Registration for Cross Country usually begins in July. Our programs fill up quickly, sometimes within 24 hours of opening, so be sure to register early. CLICK HERE to sign up to receive notification of exact registration dates. Once the roster is full, we do keep a waiting list in case additional spaces become available.
When are practices?
Practices are on Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday evenings. Practices take place in various locations in East Cobb, depending on the season. Attendance at practice is for the athlete’s own benefit and growth, and there is no attendance requirement. If athletes must miss a practice, we recommend finding time to complete a replacement running workout to keep up fitness levels.
When are meets?
WYTC competes in 4 to 5 “developmental” meets with other local area clubs. During the latter portion of the season, WYTC participates in one meet per weekend. After the developmental meets, WYTC participates in the USATF Junior Olympic series competitive meets. All meets are optional, and all WYTC athletes are invited to participate in the developmental meets plus the first USATF meet. After that, athletes must qualify to advance through the USATF season, culminating in the USATF Junior Olympic National Championship.
What equipment do I need to buy?
The only equipment that is needed (highly recommended) is a new/newer pair of performance running shoes. Using worn down shoes, non-running shoes, or running shoes that do not provide the proper fit and support will lead to injuries. Some athletes also choose to purchase running spikes for use during the meets (this is purely optional). A wide selection of all these shoes are available at the Big Peach Running Company.
Are practices ever cancelled?
Lightning is really the only weather condition that will cause practice to be cancelled. Coaches will attempt to contact parents via email prior to practices.
How do I get more information?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any additional questions.
Things to Remember for Practices and Meets:
- BE ON-TIME
- MEET AT THE START AND FINISH OF EACH PRACTICE WITH YOUR GROUP SO YOU CAN STRETCH OUT, WARM UP, AND COOL DOWN
- Again, BE ON-TIME getting to practice (our practice time is very limited) and parents be on time picking up your kids after practice
- Have your child go to the bathroom before practice (the bathrooms are not always open)
- Bring water/sports drink to every practice and meet
- Bring sweats, gloves, hats… as needed (during certain times of the season the weather is unpredictable and kids get cold!!!) and remember to take this stuff home with you
- Carry water, sweats… in a backpack/bag (things easily get misplaced at practice)
- Make sure your child’s shoes are tied in double knots
- Try to have your child rest a little after school/homework and have a light snack and fluids (no dairy products, other rich foods, or heavy meals)
- Let the coaches know if your child has any allergies or medical conditions that may need attention (allergic to ant bites, bee stings… or has asthma…)
- Girls with long hair should wear their hair in a pony tail to keep them cooler and less distracted
[Parents/older siblings, feel free to help out in any way you wish at the practices and the meets]